Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I might be amazing.

I have only worked at the Foundation for 5 days, and I have already (maybe) found a cure for HIV.

Yep. Its true.

Today we had a presentation with Dr. Robert Gallo who is a co-discoverer of HIV and is currently the Director of the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He went over the basics of the virus and explained what they were doing to find a vaccination to rid the population of this retrovirus.

When it came time for questions, I had one.

"I was a veterinary assistant for a few years, and it was common for me to vaccinate cats for Feline Aids and Feline Leukemia. What is the difference in the virus, and why is it that we are able to vaccinate felines already, but not humans?"

Actually, the way I asked it made me sound SO much smarter, especially because Dr. Gallo understood me. The above quote was created for all you blog stalkers, put into layman's terms for your sake :). This is how it was really stated:

"Why are we able to vaccinate for FIV and FELK but not HIV? What is the difference in the virus?" I totally sound like I know what Im talking about, right?!

Anyway, after being taken aback with my obvious intelligence, Dr. Gallo responded in a way that humbled me back to my high-school diploma status. This is my interpretation:

"Well, they have created an envelope...bla...bla...TRK...ABC to kill off the RXp2 of the virus acting as a IPRT that sends alerts to the TRC cells..."

Yeah, a totally different language. I nodded my head and "followed along."

Then, he turned to the other scientists that were touring with him, they proceeded to speak in "Smart" and then Dr. Gallo turned back to me and said:

"Well, I hadn't thought of that before. That's something I would like to experiment with. Thank you."

The audience turned to me, recognizing that I may have just input some small but life changing idea into this genius's mind.

Then I laughed and asked, "Well, do I get credit if something happens?" Everyone laughed and Dr. Gallo told me I could get 90% of the credit. Then he asked me to see him afterward to talk more.

I don't remember the rest of the meeting because I had other thoughts in mind.

"Is he going to ask me to work with him?"

"Am I a savior?"

"Can I change my title to Superhero?"

After the conference his Scientist buddies approached me and spoke to me more about my knowledge in the feline viral studies (very limited, I promise). I even proved a scientist wrong who tried to tell me there was no vaccine for FIV.

"Yes, there is."

Bald scientist says, "She's right. There is one."

Don't try and deny me of my kitty knowledge dude.

Anyway, Dr. Gallo just came up to me, shook my hand and thanked me for my input. Well, Dr. Gallo, if you do find a cure for the HIV, I hope that your Nobel Peace Prize speech starts off with "I met this engaging woman at a presentation I had at the Gates Foundation..."

6 comments:

Matt said...

Dude - what a great story!

I am glad you documented it too, because the historians will appreciate this accurate look back to the germination of the idea that was a cure for HIV.

I will be so proud to say that I knew you when.

Holly for President!

Stef said...

wow your like a superhero, smarty pants, now you just have to learn their weirdo language :) how cool hope it helps LOTS.

Alycia said...

Very Cool!

Colton said...

You just let us know when you find out if you are actually amazing or not.

Just kidding, just kidding. You're the only one I know that is obsessed enough with animals to know about FIV and cat-AIDS and all that other gibberish. That would be a pretty startling breakthrough.

The Dillon 6 said...

you crack me up. Maybe cats aren't worthless anyway. ;)

Lindsey said...

When you get big and famous...just remember the little people that helped you get there. I didn't do much...but you have my full hearted support...and that is all that matters:)