Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Electrocautery

This morning was the dreaded LEEP procedure, and contrary to what everyone told me, it was MUCH worse than my biopsies. I made the mistake of looking down as they were about to numb my cervix and I saw the 5 inch long needle that they were inserting into me...


and OUCH. (owwche Charl-ay!)


Have you ever felt bee stings on your insides? Well I have! Luckily though, the numbness kicked in quick and I didn't feel much pain for the rest of the procedure. The hardest part for me was when the Dr. said it was imperative that I sit still. No coughing, sniffing laughing or adjusting or he might fry something worth keeping. I was already pretty shaky from the previous pain, but it was quick enough that I did fine.


The cauterizing was a joy as well. I could feel the heat and the vibrations and see the smoke that was being suctioned out. It was a very weird thing to witness, and I pray that I will never have to go through this again.



The Dr. says that by the look of things, I should be clear of all the abnormal cells and dysplasia. The results wont come back for a while, but he sounded very optimistic about everything.


Including pregnancy.


He thinks that we could start trying again within the next few months, which is VERY different from what the nurse told me at the last appointment.


However, last month I tricked myself into thinking that waiting was a good idea, and I am still feeling the pain of the procedure enough that giving birth, doesn't sound all that exciting right now!!


So, even though its great news, it really hasn't struck me as such yet. I know that my baby fever will come back soon, but for now I am enjoying my cooked guts just the way they are :)

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I must admit..your commentary made this sound like a fun operation. I am glad you are so optimistic about it. And congrats on having your guts cooked...I'm jealous. And I can't help you with the baby fever bit...you could always walk downtown, find one you like a take it. However that is called kidnapping, and is frowned upon.

The Dillon 6 said...

I have never been cauterized. But I have had 3 children naturally (meaning NO DRUGS) and 1 child very pleasantly (meaning WITH drugs). I can tell you that there is no pain as joyful and worthwhile as labor. It's intense and downright nasty, but the REWARD is an eternal blessing.

I hope your recovery is speedy. We pray for you every night. The kids have had their share of sick family & friends recently. We're glad you're on the mend.

Nick and Tiffany said...

Yucky, I'm sorry. Labor with my two kids wasn't bad (thank heavens for epidurals)...Kenzie's was a bit harder thanks to my wonderful anethesiologist who forgot to turn on the machine. But I can't imagine having my insides cooked. Hope you heal quickly...as for the baby fever...I'll let you borrow one of mine and we'll see if you still want kids, lol ;)

Unknown said...

Holly,

can I just say that you are amazing... seriously, you handling everything so well.... I hope all goes well for you Holly, I really do!! P.S. the more i see your hair the more i love it... just thought i would add that in....

Sabs said...

no pics huh? j.k
sorry about all that. I birthed 2 kids but almost died when i had a "simple" procedure done. I think i would have been crying and vomiting and passing out in your situation.

Stef said...

I'm glad all went well and that things seemed to have gone better than expected. as for the pains of pregnancy, trust me it's worth every minute of it (i wouldn't be doing it again if it wasn't!)
Hope your feeling back to normal soon. we were all praying and keeping our fingers crossed glad it came out good!

Kylee said...

Holly, I am glad the procedure went well and I am amazed at your strength. You are a huge example to everyone!!