Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

I am giddy about my new job! It feels so good to be working for a company that is literally trying to save the world. The Bill & Melinda Gates foundation is a non-profit organization in Seattle that is trying to improve the status of life for people around the world. I am working in the Global Health Department. I process grants everyday that are given to research organizations that are trying to create immunizations, diagnostics and treatments for diseases such as TB, Malaria and AIDS. I am impressed everyday by the things that the Gates Foundation does.

First off, they have two wonderful mission statements.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

"All lives - no matter where they are being led - have equal value."


Both of these are things that I believe, and that the gospel teaches. Isn't it so great that a company feels the same way?!

Secondly, they are so great to their employee's! There are free lunches, so far everyday, they pay for my bus pass and parking and just check out my view! Although the city doesn't look as great when its rainy, its such a cool thing to look out my window and see the Space Needle. I am so thankful for this job, and I hope it lasts! I am also thankful for the people that helped me land this awesome position with such a great team. The Dillon/Campbell family has always been there to employ me! Thanks!

6 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

hooray!!! The foundation is a great place to work. Now we just have to figure out how to get together and have some FUN while we can. ;)

Kathryn said...

Holly that is so great! ENJOY

Rachel {RandR Workshop} said...

wow! your job sounds awesome! congrats!

The Bay A's said...

Congratulations! That is incredible! And also good job on the HIV/AIDS thing

Stef said...

how cool and LOVE the view. lets see a spider try and build a web up there. :)

Katie said...

Hey Holly! Congratulations on the job. It sounds like a really great place to work. I realize you've only been working for the Gates Foundation for a few days, but I have a friend that just graduated and would love to work there! She graduated in business management but wants to do non-profit work. Have any tips about who she should contact? You can email me if that would be easier... porterk5@cc.wwu.edu Thanks!!!