Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Sexism-in my favor

I get pulled over a lot. I am guilty of a heavy right foot. However, I never get tickets. Matt says its because I'm "hot" and he accuses me of "flirting with the officer." I have always denied this claim, but I do laugh about the coincidence that I have ALWAYS manage to get out of a citation.

On Sunday, I was able to prove my innocence. Matt and I were heading to my parents house to watch a fight on TV. I was driving 55 in a 35, yeah I know, stupid. I am not a bad driver, just a fast one. The cars in front of me were going the same speed...until they saw the Sheriff parked at the side of the road. By the time I noticed him, it was too late. He got behind me and turned on his lights. Does anyone else get that sick feeling in their stomachs when they see the red and blue?

So he comes to my window where I pleed guilty for speeding and then he takes my license back to his Jeep. At this point I am already expecting the ticket. I was speeding, I didn't have my registration and I had Matt with me so the "hot girl" excuse was out.

When he came back to the car, this was our conversation:

"Is this Mr. Aprecio?" Pointing to Matt.

Me: "Yes it is."

"Do you two plan on having kids, not that its any of my business?"

Me: "Yes we do."

"Would you like it if someone came speeding through the place where your children play?" (I got pulled over on Avondale, not a neighborhood, but whatever.)

Me: "No, I wouldn't."

"Then slow down. 20 mph over the speed limit is pushing it. Have a better day."

NO TICKET. NO HARSH WORDS. NOTHING. He was actually very nice to me, which is sometimes rare for "The Po."

At this point, Matt is hyperventilating and repeating "What the-! What the-! 20 is PUSHING IT!" Let me remind all of you that Matt got pulled over a few weeks ago, and ticketed for going 8 over. So you can imagine his frustration.

I am not going to complain about the wonderfully courteous officer I got to meet :) but it is pretty funny that I can get away with going that fast just because I'm a girl. I fear getting pulled over by a woman for this very reason.

But until then, I think Ill stick to the posted speed, or at least I'll try!

6 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

oh Hottie. The joys of being Hottie. ;) I got pulled over for (the first and only time) speeding (knock on wood) the only time EVER 2 days after moving to Washington. I was in a rental; all 3 kids were buckled into their seats in the backseat; on Hwy18. The Officer told me, "Ma'am, you were pulled over because you were exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour...did you know that in Washington State I am required to impound your car?" I about passed out...trying to figure out how my kids and I were going to get home, and how they would impound the rental car. Fortunately, he let me off with a warning. And Matty, as I'm sure you'll note, I am not "hot" so that can't be Hottie's reason for never getting a ticket.

The Dillon 6 said...

Not the full story, Melissa got the ticket he just didn't impound the car so no warning :) Matt, I feel your pain that is too much 20 is pushing it and you get hit with 8 mph over gotta love the officers. I guess when it comes to sexism woman have us beat on this one but we have many advantages in other areas.

Colton said...

In lieu of profanity and scorching insults I am just going to say nothing. In case you're wondering, I blogged about tickets just last month. Grrr...

Crysler's said...

I totally understand Matt's irritation!! SO not fair. I got pulled over in Utah after I was all upset about something and had obviously been crying. I told the officer I was sorry I was just really upset and had decided to go for a drive by the temple - didn't help. He then preceeded to tell me my name was in the bible (he told me where but I forget, i'm pretty sure he's full of it) and give me a ticket. on a Sunday. So I don't think it's the hottie thing, because I am TOTALLY a hottie. :-)

Lindsey said...

Finally, someone that understands my dilema:) I too get out of tickets all too often. And I would be lying if I said I didn't bat my pretty blues and flirt...a little. Notice I said a LITTLE! I am always 90% honest with the nice man...and somehow I am blessed without a ticket. However in my defense...I get pulled over for some pretty stupid stuff. ie, My tires not being close enough to the curb on a right hand turn, for only using my blinker 2 out of the 3 times he was behind me..etc. Tell Matt I am so sorry about the 8mph over deal, that sucks. Tell him to bat his eyes and shake it a little more next time.

Sabs said...

ha ha this is sooooooooooo funny! You go girl!