Thursday, April 12, 2012

Embrace the Camera - 4.12.12

Last month I was put in charge of putting together a slide show with images from Jan's life for her funeral. It was an extremely emotionally charged task, but I felt so lucky to be able to have a better glimpse into her life through the pictures that were collected.

About a year before she passed away we all got together for family pictures. NO ONE wanted to do it. It's a pain to get that many people organized and willing, not to mention it was cold and dark.
But we did it! And if we hadn't, we would not have a single family picture. To say I am grateful for these would be an understatement.

I realized how important it is to have pictures of yourself. Not so much for your own documentation, but for your children. So, I am going to start "Embracing the Camera" every week.

I can't say it any better than Emily, a fellow blogger, who I have been following for a little while now for her adoption experience. She started ETC two years ago and I think it's such a great idea. Please check out her link and turn your own camera around!!!

http://andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.com/p/embrace-camera.html


Here we are, straight out of bed, getting ready to go outside and work in the yard. I cringe at posting pictures of myself without make-up but these are for Sam, and I know he doesn't give a darn.

I am so thankful for this goofy boy!

8 comments:

Stepper the Mighty said...

please. You have a natural beauty that no-makeup only enhances.

And I love love love this concept. Well done, you!

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

What a wonderful picture, and keepsake for your family. I'm so happy that you had that photo taken. And I've been trying this past year or two to really step out in front of the camera more. I think it's so important to be able to be have those memories to pass on!

Stepper the Mighty said...

Holly - I was so compelled by this that I am joining you and Emily. I posted about it on my blog - do you mind that I quoted you? I liked back here, of course. This is a wonderful idea - and so important.

Colton said...

This is a good idea; you make a great argument. Anyway, you look great without makeup, so shut your face.

The Dillon 6 said...

I was looking for some "before" shots for a comparison after losing weight and realized that I didn't have many. I decided (that for better or worse) I would volunteer to step in front of the camera ~ for the very reasons you stated.

also, you're as hottie as ever so shut up. ;)

Sabs said...

love it. i was just realizing this weekend that I've entered the no me in the pics phase. I swear i used to jump in every single one haha. time to stop being so camera shy.

emily anderson said...

yes! i'm so glad you are doing this!
seriously, our kids NEED these pictures. i have hardly any with my mom and it's so sad.
even when i don't feel like doing it, i just have to remind myself that it's for my kids...they will love all these moments that we've documented.
go you!

merideth said...

i "embraced the camera" over a year ago (maybe more) with emily. and then i forgot. so mad at me. i need to rededicate myself to do this. i must get over hating pics of myself.
you are beautiful with or without make-up!!

ok i am doing it!!