Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Getting pregnant-er

I am now half way through my pregnancy! I cant wait for him to be here, but I am also loving being pregnant...for now.


At my doctors appointment today:
I am measuring 20 cm
Baby's heart rate is now at 135
I have gained 3 pounds so far in my pregnancy (but I know there are plenty more pounds to come!)

The Dr mentioned that the ultrasound showed some calcification in one of ventricles of his heart. This is a common sign of Down Syndrome, so he checked other things such as head circumference, neck size and heart function for other signs of DS, and assured me that we don't have anything to worry about. Everything else looks normal. He sees this "calcification" quite often, and 90% of the time it turns out to be nothing. To be honest, I am not very concerned. Nothing could change how I already feel about this little life form.

Matt and I started a registry! We figured we should do it before the holidays, and we had time today to head into "Babies R Us" and pick out all the fun little things we will need for a newborn. It was very exciting, but also very overwhelming. There is a lot to having a baby!

Right now we are calling him "Sam"(short for Samuel). We will not officially give him this title until we see his little face but its hard not to call him by a name now. Sam has been our top boy name since before I was pregnant, and it has just kind of stuck. We also really like Kai, which is a Hawaiian name (Matt is from Hawaii, and we were engaged there) meaning "the sea."

We have both felt him move now, and nothing makes it more real than to feel something moving around inside of you! Matt was really excited to feel him kick (on Thanksgiving) and then I felt him push my hand away the next night. I have been feeling him from the inside for about a week or so now, but it was cool to feel him from the outside. We also borrowed a Stethoscope and we can hear his little heart when ever he is in the right position. It is so weird to realize there is a person growing inside of me, but I love it at the same time.

9 comments:

The Owens said...

I LOVE hearing how much you two love the beautiful life that is growing inside of you! It's an amazing thing being pregnant. I LOVED being pregnant too. Feeling your baby move is the most incredible thing I have ever felt. It only gets better as he grows and gets stronger. Until Jacob turned upside down (about 32ish weeks for me) he loved to kick and rest his feet in my bladder. Even the ultrasound tech said the same thing! Also in both ultra sounds, our sweet baby always had his hands over his face and he STILL sleeps the same way with his hands on or close to his face! It's so cute.

You look absolutely beautiful Holly! Even from the side it looks like you are glowing. I'm so happy for you guys! I can't wait to see you grow and I can't wait to see your amazing photography of your baby when he gets here.

Colton said...

Its almost sickening how adorable you guys are.

Nick and Tiffany said...

You look so adorable. I'm glad everything is going so well for you guys :)

Kathryn said...

I am so excited for you guys! I am glad that you are staying on top of keeping us all posted. I love hearing about it all. You look great by the way!
talk to you again soon ;)

The Cox Trio said...

Oh my goodness... you've only gained 3lbs! You make me sick! :-) Enjoy this time "holding" your little boy because once he's born you'll have to share him with other people. Also, enjoy feeling all his kicks and flips as he'll be here before you know it!

Love you!

merideth said...

you look amazing. i love the "maybe" name. i also think samuel kai sounds so good together.

The Dillon 6 said...

I'm with Colton. ;)

Love the name Sam...we'll call him Sammy.

Keep up the good work!!

Bart and Jill said...

I am SO excited for you! Don't feel too overwhelmed. All you really need is some blankets, little hats for his head, diapers, wipes, and a WHOLE lot of hugs and kisses!! Everything else will come and for the first few days you won't be able to put him down so you won't even need the crib yet! haha (We still don't even have one... we LOVE sleeping with Holden). Keep posting... I LOVE reading your updates!!!

Melynda said...

CONGRATS on making it half way! Hopefully it will go by fast now! We were so excited to see that you are having a boy! Can't wait to meet him and we hope things continue to go well. Oh and isn't it so fun when you can actually start feeling them move? AHH...those are sweet memories...enjoy them all!