Friday, May 23, 2008

Movie Review

Yesterday at lunch Sarah and I went and bought tickets to that nights showing of the new Indiana Jones film. Good thing we did too, because it was pretty packed in the theater, and I could not risk missing it on opening night!For those of you who don't know, and I'm sure there are very few of you, I am obsessed with Indiana Jones. I have loved him since we met when I was a little girl, so to have a new movie out is very exciting for me. My expectations for this movie have been REALLY high, especially since announcing the name and cast. With that being said, there was a huge chance that I would be disappointed with the flick, but it never happened! Here is my movie review for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull.

Pros:
  • There is TONS of action! All the fight scenes are well choreographed, and very entertaining. Its very "Spielberg Esq" which does well to connect all 4 IJ movies.
  • The pre-used characters are played by the same actors. There is nothing worse than having to use a different actor for the same name. I love that they all came back into play. There are also tons of things in Crystal Skull that bring the old artifacts into play. Look in the shelves in the hallway and the trinkets in his home and you will recognize some of them from previous adventures!
  • Although he is 20 years older, Harrison Ford is still an amazing Indiana Jones! I am glad that they didn't try to act like only a few years had passed, and they used the age difference to the movies advantage. I loved it.
  • The humor! I love the jokes, and I laughed at least every 10 minutes!
Cons:
  • The CGI animals. (Groundhogs and Monkeys) I don't know why they had to do this, and I don't think that it made it "cooler" by using this technology. I actually kind of hoped for the cheesy fake animal attacks such as is used in the old movies.
  • It took me a while to feel like Harrison Ford was still Indiana Jones. I think the first time it hit me that he was Indy, was when he was explaining the legend of the Crystal Skull in the diner to "Mutt". Up until that point, things were just a little off.
  • The plot. Although the hokiness fit well with the other movies, there were a few parts that I wished were a little "less". Although I don't mind the idea of the story line, but I thought that it was a little too over done.
But, even with the few negative thoughts I have, I am DYING to go see it again. It was worth every penny (or GEM, thanks to Sarah!) and it gets my vote for movie of the year!
I still love you Indiana Jones!
PS-I love my husband more :)

4 comments:

Adam and Dani said...

I love the pictures! My pros and cons are pretty much the same as yours. I still loved every minute of it and would definitely go see it again!

Adam and Dani said...

I love the pictures! My pros and cons are pretty much the same as yours. I still loved every minute of it and would definitely go see it again!

Alycia said...

I'm so excited that you got to see it! Gabe is going to have me watch all of the old ones when we're at his parents house next week, then he's going to take me to see the new one! Soon I will understand the magic. :)

The Dillon 6 said...

Malcolm will be jealous when I tell him you've already seen it. He's having an IJ birthday party on Saturday. And he's super excited. Do you think the movie is OK for Malcolm & Laurel? I figure it would be a bit too much for Baub.