Friday, May 30, 2008

Artsy Mood

Occasionally I get in "artsy" moods where I just have to paint, make or design something. It usually only lasts a few hours though, and if I don't finish the project within the time I am feeling creative, it never gets finished.

When Matt and I see art that we like at stores, I have the hardest time buying anything that I feel like I could do myself. So, I have been buying canvas and painting things for each room when ever I get in the right mood for a masterpiece. Here are a few of my pieces.
This one, I call "Reflection" (acrylic on canvas) is actually 4 different paintings. This is what was completed after using the canvas, and gesso-ing it over and over again until I finally finished something that I liked. If I recall, underneath is a picture of a rose, a landscape and a Native American design. Thankfully, the trees worked out nicely. Its not my favorite, but it looks good in our living room.This one is my "Go Green" project. Its a collection of all the scraps of green papers I had from scrap booking and other projects cut into butterfly shapes, obviously. No insects were harmed during the making of this shadow box.This piece, untitled, was my first time ever using oil! I have always painted with acrylic, and I was excited to try something new. I LOVE how this turned out, and I am happy that it looks great in our home. "Palm" was my second try at oil on canvas. I wanted something with a tropical theme for our powder room, and I think it turned out pretty cool. The second part of this is a close up of a Hawaiian flower, that I started when I was in the right mood, but now it sits, uncompleted in our closet. I hate when that happens."On a Wire" was created last night. I have been wanting to try something different by using newspaper on canvas for quite some time, and yesterday I realized it was a great time for me to try it. The birds idea came to me from this picture I took while waiting for a ride outside of Courtney's condo in Seattle. (Although my silhouettes are not nearly as good as this one.)
I love that our house is decorated in original art, but its too bad I have to wait for my artsy side to arrive!

13 comments:

J & J said...

thanks for the comment! at first i was confused, but i will for sure tell jake when he gets home from work tonight. and by the way, your paintings are amazing. i dabble in paint every once in awhile, but you've inspired me to really get creative and do something sweet. my favorite is the swaying tree.

The Dillon 6 said...

love 'em Hottie. But don't forget about your Lions...they are still waiting for their final appearance.

Colton said...

I LOVE them! Original art is the best! I wish I would get in an artsy mood once in a while, but as of yet, I just envy other people.

Your house looks great, by the way.

Kylee said...

Your house is beautiful and the artwork looks great on the walls! The paintings are so amazing! Since I can't paint at all, I really admire those people that can!

allison said...

Ohhh make me something, please? LOL

I took chlomid for both kids. You can always call me.

Stef said...

you are awesome! they are beautiful, pieces i'd even buy! i love being artsy but don't have the tallent. Glad someone who has the talent isn't wasting it! i know some who do!

Kathryn said...

Tim and I both love your pictures! I always knew you were artistic, I just didn't know how talented! I am very jealous. Anytime you want to paint me a picture feel free! So we aren't in Hawaii anymore but know you can come and visit us in Kentucky! Yee-Haw
Love ya

Crysler's said...

You are so talented!! If you ever wanted to paint anything for anyone else, I totally wouldn't mind if you decided I needed an original Holly Aprecio! :-)

Love you!

Clark Family said...

What talent!! I am impressed. I love how you decorated your place. I wish I had a creative and artsy bone in my body. I hope you guys are doing well!!

Bart and Jill said...

wow! You are VERY talented! I am inspired to do some decorations for my house!

Elizabeth said...

Holly,

Elizabeth from work here. You're blog is great! I got here via washingtoncampbells. Hello lady!? Have you ever thought of a career in art/design/decorating? If not, you really need to. I don't know what your background is but you sure do have talent girl!

Lindsey said...

woah wait....why was I not informed that you were an established painter? I am confussed....how come you haven't painted anything for me? We shall talk about this soon. I am seriously quite impressed with your little paintings. Impressed/Jealous and angry:)

Sabs said...

wow super talent!!!! I love the "on the wire"!!! I need some art and I'm too lazy.