Friday, March 14, 2008

A birthday beating!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: A martial art and combat sport that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting with the goal of gaining a dominant position and using joint-locks and chokeholds to force an opponent to submit.
This year for Matt's birthday, I enrolled him in a Jiu-Jitsu class near our home. Matt is always watching the UFC and he can name all of the moves, so I thought that he would have a great time learning how to get into moves such as "The Guillotine" and "Americana".
The school is called "Tap-or-Snap" and that should give you a pretty good idea of what they are learning to do. It is a larger class than I anticipated, and there are different belt levels all working together at their skills.
Matt had a private one on one class last night with a blue belt who showed him a few submission moves. Here is a picture of Matt forcing the trainer to tap-or-snap. Im not sure what this move is called, and I REALLY hope to never find out how that must feel!! The class itself is only an hour long, and then they match up everyone on a mat for a 5 minute spar. It was so fun to watch, and I thought that Matt did a really good job for his first time. He even sparred the black belt trainer who was impressed with a move that Matt pulled on him. "You're a fast learner."

After the class, Matt mentioned that it was the hardest cardio workout he had ever done. Im sure that he is feeling it this morning, and he will have a beautiful black bruise on his face to show for his hard work. Sore joints and all, he really enjoy it. (Which is good because I bought 2 months worth of classes for him!) Doesn't he look like he had a great time? Good job Matty! I cant wait to come see you when you are more experienced even though "none of the other moms come to watch!" Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

yikes!! Doug knows a guy who does something with UFC...at least I think it's UFC...I'll follow up.

The Dillon 6 said...

It's the IFL.

Sheila said...

I studied Chinese Kenpo for roughly five years as a youth and again a few years ago; I would totally agree with him that the classes are quite intense and I totally know what he's going through!

Lindsey said...

That last picture is priceless...looks like he had a good time. I am so sorry I am such a jerk and won't be able to see you again this trip. But just think, soon....soon....soon....we will be together!

Colton said...

Wow. That actually sounds like a fun class. Just don't let him do UFC. Seriously. Its uncouth.

Alycia said...

Thanks again for coming over and keeping me company last night. I hope we weren't too boring. :)