Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quilt

Newborn clothes hold so many memories for us mommies. Which is why it is so hard for us to pack up or hand down the tiny outfits.

So I had an idea.
To make a quilt using all of Sam's memorable baby clothes.
Let me start off by stating, I don't quilt. This was my FIRST time ever attempting anything of this sort. I looked up a few projects online and figured out how to go about it as basically as possible.
First, I picked out a few of my favorite outfits, burp cloths, fabric from Sam's room and receiving blankets. The hardest part was cutting up the pieces that I wanted on the quilt. Luckily everything Sam owns is the same color scheme.
Then I pieced everything together and sewed it all up. It took a few days, but it was so worth it for me.
Its not perfect. In fact its not even close. But I will forever have these little squares to remind me of when Sammy was a baby. Not that I will ever forget.
This is the shirt that Sam came home from the hospital in. Honestly it still brings tears to my eyes. We were not always sure that we were going to get to bring him home. So it was an amazing feeling to pack our little boy up in his car seat and take him with us. Matt and I held hands the whole way home. Then we carried him into the house and introduced him to the dogs. Its a crystal clear memory that floods back especially when I look at this little doggy shirt.
The brown and white lion pattern on the right is a hoodie that I bought from Old Navy when we started trying to get pregnant. For 2 years it hung on the door handle of our extra bedroom. It was so cool to finally put a little baby in it!
This is Sam's blessing shirt, buttons and all.
The importance of this is obvious. It was so great to have all of our family and friends at church this day to support us. I especially remember thinking to myself how lucky I was to have Sam and Matty.
Owls. Of course. When I was pregnant I knew I had to decorate the nursery with owls. Some may think I even went a little overboard, but I don't think so :)
Now whenever I see owls, I think of Sam. And, we hear a lot from other people, that when they see anything with owls, they think of us too.
The owl was a napkin that Auntie Shauna found for Sam and I couldn't figure out what to do with it until I made the quilt. There are other owls on the quilt from some burp rags my mom made for me and a onesie a friend found with little owls on it.
I love it all. Every square has a story. I hope that it means as much to Sam one day, as it means to his mommy every day.

8 comments:

whitney said...

are you kidding me? I am obsessed with this masterpiece! you did such a beautiful job. Sam is one lucky boy!!!!

The Owens said...

Oh I love it! What a great idea! Thank you Holly! You're amazing!

Unknown said...

Holly, the quilt looks amazing!! seriously, such a great idea. I have no idea when you have time to do all of these things.... please stop making me look bad....

sincerely,

Ashley

Lisa Best said...

Ok...I'm crying. (part of it might be the hormones, haha) You are adorable. I love this!

Allison L said...

This is an adorable idea. I first came across your blog last year because of your owl nursery. I love owls and was searching for room ideas. It was not over the top but adorable.

The Dillon 6 said...

oh hottie -- why are you so domesticated NOW and not when you were my domesticate? ;)

that quilt is what will one day be an heirloom. love it!

merideth said...

this quilt is amazing. so cute.

Jane said...

Holly I read the story in tears... Love ya