Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Early Teether

Sam has been all smiles until this week. He has started teething, and what a difference it has made in his disposition.
The poor guy has not slept from more than 2 hours at a time since Friday, which also means that I have not slept for more than that as well. He has been waking up every 10-20 minutes in pain. Last night I finally brought him into bed with me, and he slept pretty good all cuddled up but I don't sleep well this way, and I do not want him to get into this habit either.
We have tried Tylenol and Baby Orajel, and we are now trying out some natural Teething Tablets but nothing seems to help the poor guy. He enjoys chewing on a cold teether, but it only helps for a little bit. His face and ears are all scratched up from him clawing at himself due to the aches, and he has a stuffy nose now from all the crying. Not to mention the buckets of drool that he produces and coughs on. I feel so bad for him, and I am doing everything I can to keep him happy.
I don't see any teeth yet, but I am pretty sure they will be here soon. I HOPE!
If you have any ideas or remedies, I am all ears. Some friends mentioned Motrin, but its a blood thinner, and the Dr. says due to Sam's clotting issues and his young age, she would like me to steer clear of this until 6 months.
Poor baby! Lets get those chompers out and start being happy again.
UPDATE: Just got back from Urgent care to have Sam checked out. He is fine and healthy. He thought it would be hilarious to make a liar out of me so he played around in the hospital like nothing was wrong. What a turkey. I better get some sleep tonight.

9 comments:

Shelly said...

it seems super early to be getting teeth. are you sure it's not an ear infection?

The Dillon 6 said...

It is early for teeth -- but Laurel cut her first 4 teeth between 3 & 4 months. Scared me when I found them!

Patience and prayer...and the orajel.

But ear infection might not be a bad call...

The Aprecios said...

Yeah, we have a drs apt to check for an ear infection tomorrow, but I just sent Matt and Sam to the walk in clinic so that we can catch it earlier. All of the symptoms of teething, only 1 of an infection so hopefully he is just getting those bottom two!

Colton said...

Whatever, some kids already have a tooth or two when they are born. It can certainly be that he is teething.

On that note, I would give him hard liquor. Intravenously.

The Cox Trio said...

Haha! I agree with your friend Colton. A little scotch on on Sam's gums and I'm sure he wouldn't be fussy! :-)

The Decorating Neighbor said...

Try the Natural teething "Gel". It worked with Ian. It should be right next to the teething tablets.

Unknown said...

Teething is HORRIBLE!

If you can't give him meds you could maybe try an amber necklace. It's what the super crunchy mama's use. Of course you'll want to be around him while he is wearing it, and not to bed, but might be worth a shot. You want it warm, like warmed in the son. My 9 month only has 4 but I think he's working on 4 more right now and is sooooo cranky!

Stef said...

Try the teething tablets. they work wonders they just dissolve in the babies mouth. Also I bought a teething feeder for emily (it's a little thing they can hold and has a mesh end that you can put solid foods in and they mash it up) I found mine at target. Put ice instead of food in it. Emily loves it. or wet washcloths in the freezer for like 15 minutes they like chewing on those. or let him gnaw on cold celery. Just a few ideas.
Emily has been teething since about 8 weeks old and still has no teeth! The tablets are a miracle worker. They are at Walmart if you have one. Some grocery stores carry them.

Unknown said...

Holly!!!

I am so sad I couldn't see you and your cute little bundle of joy while I was home... some things happend so we were with the fam... the whole time!!! but seriously the pictures of Sam are AMAZING!!!! I was looking at your pictures and am seriously impressed!!! I wish you could have taken some of Janey!!!!