Saturday, March 07, 2009

About a Knee

(For those of you who have heard my complaints about Matt being gone so much with Jiu-Jitsu and Basketball during our last months as a couple, I must defend myself. I did NOT pray for this to happen, I did NOT pay anyone to injure my husband and I do NOT have a Matty Voodoo doll hidden in my room. Just don't look under the pillow...)About 2 weeks ago, Matt competed in a Jiu-Jitsu tournament in Seattle. During his first fight, his opponent turned Matt's leg one way, while Matt's body went the other resulting in 3 loud pops in his knee. The match was immediately stopped when Matt screamed in pain, his opponent grimaced in disgust and the Ref was sure that something was broken. Matt headed home (Our friend Kyle drove him), upset and in pain and called the Dr.


They started out with an Xray to make sure that no bones were broken. Then an MRI was scheduled and done with an exam that Matt said was more painful than the actual injury.
The MRI showed that Matt has torn his MCL and his ACL. Luckily, it doesn't look like either are completely torn, so they are going to give Matt 6 weeks of physical therapy to see if that works before surgery is discussed.
I am so thankful that Matt didn't hurt himself worse, but I pray that he will be able to heal fast. It has been challenging for us since getting up from the couch, walking, driving and stairs are hard on both of us right now, and I only imagine its going to get harder for me through this last bit of pregnancy. So I hope that therapy will do the job!

2 comments:

Colton said...

Oh dear, that is awful. Not like you aren't aware...I don't really know what to say. I wish I was there to bring you an escalator and a casserole.

The Dillon 6 said...

I teased Matty that some men will do almost anything to get attention during the last trimester. ;)

but seriously -- I hope he is able to recover quickly and permanently. nobody wants a dad with a bum knee. ;)