Monday, September 01, 2008

The Baby News

After 18 months, 12 blood draws, 7 Dr visits and 2 surgeries we are finally pregnant! And it was all worth it so far.

I started on the Chlomid early in July, but I really didn't feel like it did anything. I didn't have the usual symptoms, and I was pretty sure that I was going to have to get a second, higher dose. So I bought myself some ovulation test kits, only this time I went with the digital ones.

It came with a free pregnancy test.

I only tried it out to see how the digital ones worked since I had only seen the "pink line" ones. So, I used it and just as I was throwing it away, I saw that it read pregnant. I was in total shock, and Matt had no idea that I was doing this, and if he did he would be making fun of me for "wasting" a test just to see how it worked. I waited for Matt to leave the room and I called my mom. We both agreed that it was a possibility that the test was just registering my hormone levels from the medication, so I calmed down a bit, went to bed and called my Dr.'s office in the morning.

At this point, I had not even skipped my period yet and I was not feeling any pregnancy symptoms so it was pretty easy to talk myself out of the excitement. But when I spoke to Nurse Nancy that next morning, she assured me that the only hormone that these home tests picked up was HCG, which is a hormone you only get when you are pregnant. She sent me to the lab a few hours later for a blood test to confirm that I was pregnant, and how high my levels were testing. I took 2 more blood tests that week, again keeping this news to myself and my parents. Matt had no idea and to keep it that way, I faked my period going as far as to leave tampon wrappers in the garbage can :)

Friday afternoon, after passing all the blood tests with flying HCG levels, I decided it was time to break the news to Matt. Mostly because it was getting SO HARD to keep it from him. So I went to our favorite restaurant Lombardi's, and set the table with baby things. Then I drove home and talked him into Italian. When we arrived back at the restaurant, they walked us over to the table set for us and Matt turned to me and whispered "This table is set for kids." I told him to sit down, and as he was obeying, he looked up at me and noticed that I had started to cry. He figured it out pretty quickly from there and I told him that I was pregnant.

It was perfect.

The sunset was so amazing, and we finished dinner just in time to walk out on the boardwalk and enjoy the weather. Matt, of course, is thrilled and has been so sweet about everything. He has been getting up early to make me breakfast and making sure that I take all my vitamins.

Sunday we headed over for dinner to Matt's parents house, where we gave them little gift bags with 2 bibs inside. They were so excited to hear the news, and cant wait to be Grandparents. Both our parents are pretty excited to say the least. We have all gone through a lot in the past 2 years, and we were all due for some good news!
Because I am what they consider a "high risk pregnancy" I had a very early ultrasound. I filled up my bladder to capacity, and headed into the hospital to see out little "spot." It was still to early to get a heartbeat, but we were able to see the yolk sack and the embryotic sac. It was amazing. We will go in on Sept 8th for another ultrasound, this time to hear the heart. I am so excited!
According the the ultrasound, I am on my 7th week now. I am not throwing up (much) yet, but I am nauseous a lot of the time. I am constantly hungry and/or tired, and I can smell everything. I am more than happy to be feeling all of these symptoms, since this is what I have wanted for such a long time.

So, come April 18th, we should have a little baby! Thank you for all the wonderful comments and all the prayers you said to help us get here! We are so blessed, and we couldn't be more happy about it!

20 comments:

Lindsey said...

Seriously...i love the way you told matt!! You are soooo cleaver! I am SUPER happy for you Holls!! I can't wait! I am also so glad you are barfing and feeling nasty...all good signs:)
Congrats again!!

britni jean said...

i'm so happy to hear your great news!! congratulations to you and matt!! you are so creative! it must come with the artsy part of you.

Nick and Tiffany said...

We're so excited for you guys! And the way you told Matt was such a cute idea :) You guys are always in our prayers! <3 Nick & Tiffany

Marissa said...

Congrats! I am way excited for you guys. I think being a mom sounds like so much fun. I would rather be exhausted taking care of a baby than waking up to go to my desk job any day! :) I can't wait for April:)

Anonymous said...

ok so lets talk baby shower. where are you going to register??? and lets sign you up for some mommy yoga classes. can i come to lamaze??? i think i might want you to read a few books about labor before you pick your hospital because i heard this technique using a "squat bar" and some hospitals have them in their labor suites. it is exactly what it sounds like. anyway we have a lot of work to do, so gear up mama!!!

Colton said...

This is so fabulous...I'm smiling so much that I think my face might crack.

And the way that you told Matt is so fabulous. Why do you have to be amazing at everything? Brat.

P.S. I bought two snakes today. Pictures to come.

whitney said...

holy crap. i am SO excited for you guys. YAY! i cannot wait to see you get fat!!!! :)

The Dillon 6 said...

you know that's my birthday, right?! But did you know that was Laurel's first due date? Crazy!

We are excited for you...I showed the kids your blog...it took Laurel just a few seconds. I don't think she's upset ~ she wanted to tell everyone.

Just remember...while the rest of us slackers are sitting around, YOU are making a baby. ;)

Clark Family said...

I am so happy for you guys. I don't know how you kept it a secret for that long!! I hope you are feeling well. Be sure to keep us updated on everything!!

Kylee said...

That is such a cute way to tell Matt! I am amazed that you could hold it in that long without telling him. I am so happy for you, and glad that you are feeling sick. Not that I want you sick, just because that is the sign that things are going well. Love the pictures too!

Crysler's said...

Holly i'm so happy!!!! the only thing would will make it better is if you are two days late and have the baby on my birthday!! I'm so glad things are finally working out. take care of youself!! I LOVE you!!!

The Powells said...

Holly I couldn't be happier for you! Your first baby is SOOOOOO exciting! I hope that you enjoy EVERYTHING as much as you can (minus the sickness).

Melynda said...

I know I don't know you that well as I have just joined the Bruner clan 3 years ago, but I have followed your pregnancy journey and I do know how difficult pregnancy is and I can't tell you how happy I am that you are finally pregnant. You have been through a lot and I sincerely hope and pray that this pregnancy goes well. Even though it has been hard, you will appreciate your little bundle of joy that much more when he/she arrives. They are little miracles and what an exciting time for you and Matt.
Melynda

Jared and Paige said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so, so happy for you. You two will be such fun parents. And I, for one, think you deserve an easy, relatively sick-free pregnancy. I hope it is. :)

April said...

hi, you don't know me... I am Danny's wife April. I love to read your blog (and your photo blog) just wanted to say congratulations!!!! oh and say that April bdays are the best :)

Ryan and Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan and Brittany said...

Congrats!!!! Sabrina and I looked at your blog together when you first told everyone you were pregnant. We screamed and were so excited!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!

Jill said...

Hi Holly! You don't know me, I'm Stefanie Mainprizes sister-in-law. I know I'm a total blog stalker, but I always love looking at your photography. You're so talented! So, I have loosely been following your struggles. I just had to say congratulations!!! I hope that your pregnancy goes smoothly!

Stef said...

I am sooooo excited for you. I can completely relate to the smelling EVERYTHING. I still do, it stays around till after the pregnancy. I was also very tired and very hungry in the begining but in most cases it gets much better in the 2nd trimester. I love your spot picture. I don't get but one ultrasound and that's at the 18 week spot then I've got to wait till due day. Although this time we do plan to get the 3D one. Keep us updated. Let Matt do everything. It's the best time to take advantage of it cause come april the focus will be on baby aprecio :). I'm so thrilled for you! You deserve it!

Karin said...

congrats! to both of you. I'm really happy for you guys, being pregnant is a wonderful thing (not when you're pregnant with triplets and have to be on bedrest for three months)