Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hawaii

It was a Wednesday, and I was at work when Matt called and said that he was going to take me out to lunch. So I drove to my apartment where he was loading my suitcase into his trunk. He wouldnt explain what he was doing, but I knew he was up to something considering it was my birthday that weekend, and I was expecting him to propose anyday now. We started heading to the airport, and at this point I was freaking out trying to guess where he was taking me. When we arrived at the airport we got in line, and the ticket agent anounced that we were going to Honolulu!! I was in shock! I had never been to Hawaii before, and I had heard Matt (who was born there) talk about how wonderful it was and now I was going!!

We landed later at night, and went straight to the hotel. I couldnt sleep because I kept dreaming about what we were going to be doing, and I knew that he could pop the question any time. The next morning I called friends and family (who for the most part already knew his plans) and told them where I was. We ate a quick breakfast and headed out to the beach. We layed around for a while, and played in the ocean. It was so hard for me to believe where I was.

We rented a convertable, so it was fun to drive around the city with the top down and I was so amazed at what a beautiful place Hawaii is. We drove to the other side of the island and snorkled at an area called "Sharks Cove". The waves were really choppy, and we were surrounded by rocks, but there were so many awesome fish to see. We also explored the little tide pools around the area and found some cool creatures in them.
Matt had heard about a waterfall in the jungle called "Manawili Falls" so one morning we set out to find it. We got lost on the mountain, and ended up having to turn back, but we got to see a lot of things that we would have missed had we found the falls. Bugs were eating us alive by the time we reached Manawili, and we didnt realize that the water in the lagoon was going to be so cold! Neither of us ended up swimming, but it was still a very beautiful scene.

We did some shopping at night, and ate at most of the restaurants in the area. We drove up to a view point called the "Pali Lookout" where you could practically see the whole Island. It was so sureal. I kept waiting for Matt to give me a ring, but I was held in suspense until the last day on the Island.

Matt drove us to the Polynesian Cultral Center where we ate a dinner and watched a Luau. Then, at sunset, we headed over to the Hawaiian temple, where Matt sat me down, got on one knee, and asked me to marry him. The ring he gave me was so amazing, the sky was a ownderful orange, and I was in Hawaii with the most amazing guy. I was in bliss. It was absolutly perfect, and of course I said yes.

We spent the rest of the time at beaches, watching the sky change colors, and the ocean refect it. A storm rolled onto the island as we were leaving, and it was the perfect ending to a perfect surprise.

No comments: