Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Courtney


I have worked with Courtney for over a year now. She is a deaf/disabled 26 year old girl that I assist on the weekends. I help her get ready in the morning, and interpret for her during the day. Right now we are working with the Special Olympics Bowling League, and its been really good for both of us. We have a lot of fun, but recently Courtney has started to have seizures, so the doctors have put her on some medications that make her really groggy and grumpy.

Courtney can not walk on her own so she has to be held onto at all times. With the medication dosage she is on, she is really unstable, and its really hard physically to balance her all day. Especially during bowling.

Courtney and I used to go everywhere together. We loved trips to the Zoo, and eating out at fun restaurants, and we would have the best time at the Seattle Science Center. However, now its so frustrating to be around her. She is not the same. She is short, and bossy and really spacey. Its hard to have fun like we used to.

I know I shouldnt complain. After all, when Courtney is asked what she doesnt like about her life, she doesnt mention the disabilities that she has. She simply replies "I dont like red sauce on my pizza."

I should feel blessed to be with her, and stop wining about the little things.

No comments: